Mushroom Intolerance

Mushroom Intolerance Information

A mushroom intolerance is a negative response to eating mushrooms. The actual mushroom intolerance symptoms and the severity of those symptoms greatly depend on the individual. Certain people will experience more severe symptoms while other may have a wider variety of symptoms, but with less severity. Some people will experience symptoms in another manner. As with all food intolerances, mushroom intolerance symptoms are very individual. No two people experience a mushroom intolerance in exactly the same way.

A mushroom intolerance is different from a mushroom allergy. A food allergy (such as a mushroom allergy) is an immediate negative response that is triggered by eating a particular food. This response can be severe and even life-threatening in some cases. A food intolerance is not life-threatening. Instead, a food intolerance (such as a mushroom intolerance) can be considered lifestyle-threatening. Food intolerance symptoms make life difficult for people by causing them to feel sluggish, tired or otherwise unwell. Another important difference between food allergies and food intolerances is that food intolerance symptoms are often delayed. They can appear hours after a person eats a particular food and, in some cases, the reaction can be delayed by a day or more.

What is a Mushroom Intolerance?



A mushroom intolerance can occur in people of many different age groups and demographics. Some of those who are affected by a mushroom intolerance will experience similar adverse reactions to all mushrooms as well as other types of fungi. Other people will only experience an intolerance to specific types of mushrooms. A common type of mushroom intolerance is an intolerance to shiitake mushrooms.

People who have a mushroom intolerance will experience a negative reaction to the food they have an issue with regardless of how the food is prepared. They will also experience a reaction to foods that contain the mushrooms that they are intolerant to. Since many foods include mushrooms, it is important that a person with a mushroom intolerance recognizes that he or she has an intolerance. This will let the person avoid dishes that contain mushrooms if necessary.

Again, it is important to note that a mushroom intolerance is different from a mushroom allergy. It is also separate from mushroom poisoning which can result from eating certain types of wild mushrooms. While a mushroom intolerance is not life-threatening, mushroom intolerance symptoms can make it life difficult for a person in a number of ways.

Digestive Mushroom Intolerance Symptoms



Mushroom intolerance symptoms vary from person in both the type of symptoms experienced and their severity. Each person with a mushroom intolerance will respond in an individual way to consuming mushrooms. It is also important to note that mushroom intolerance symptoms are delayed. This means that they occur several hours after eating and can even appear days later. This delay can make it difficult for a people with a mushroom intolerance to connect how they are feeling with the food that they are intolerant to without help.

Mushroom intolerance symptoms are often varied. Common digestive mushroom symptoms include nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, cramping, headaches, excessive gas and a number of other issues. These symptoms can occur several hours after eating mushrooms but, in some cases, they can take a day or more to appear.

Mushroom Intolerance Treatment



A person can eliminate mushroom intolerance symptoms by removing mushrooms from his or her diet. However, it can be difficult to determine that you have a mushroom intolerance without help. Many people are unaware of why they are experiencing negative symptoms as the symptoms of a mushroom intolerance are delayed. This is different from a food allergy which is an immediate response. The fact that mushrooms are a component in a wide variety of dishes makes it even more difficult to determine that mushrooms are in fact responsible for the negative symptoms.

Once a person is sure that he or she has a mushroom intolerance, mushrooms can be removed from the diet. The good news is that, while mushrooms appear in a number of different dishes, they are also quite easy to avoid with some effort. Avoiding mushrooms does not usually have to be a permanent change. After a period of time, a person with a mushroom intolerance may be able to add mushrooms into his or her diet once again. This is best done on the advice of a medical professional.


Categories
Recent posts
Vegetables Intolerance Vegetable intolerance Spelt Intolerance Pork Intolerance Kefir Intolerance